Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I've got slow ethernet communication between two computers connected by hub... What should I do

I'm using a hub to share a DSL internet connection between 2 computers and my XBOX. I suppose that, since we're already there, I can network the 2 PCs so I can file share and stuff like that. My main PC uses XP professional, the other one uses windows 2000 pro.



I can call up a directory in the 2000 machine from my XP, but when I try to copy a, lets say, 5 MB file... the copying takes a lifetime.



Now, I'm not a CCNA, but I know enough to say that there seems to be network collision occuring when I try to communicate directly between the 2 PCs. When one of them tries to transmit, both NICs xmit lights glow and the collision detection light on my hub goes on too. Then there's a pause, which I assume is the Ethernet Collision Detection algorithm going on... then it repeats until the file is eventually xmitted... long time later.



Must point out that the internet connection works fine for all 3 pieces of equipment.



What should I check on them so they can intercommunicate at top speed?



I've got slow ethernet communication between two computers connected by hub... what should I do?best antivirus software



Configure the network adapters on both the PCs in Half Duplex mode and verify if this resolves the issue. This can be done as follows: -



Step 1: Go to Start%26gt; Control Panel %26gt; and select Network connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment